'America', 'Bread', 'Guess Who', and other early 70s bands

Discussions of other bands, including D21C/ROTS should go here.

Moderators: The Freedom Man, TheDoorsMusic

User avatar
StrangeNightOfStone
Senior Member
Posts: 2087
Joined: Sat Apr 12, 2008 12:05 am
Location: Boston, Massachusetts, USA, Earth

'America', 'Bread', 'Guess Who', and other early 70s bands

Post by StrangeNightOfStone »

I have a weakness for early 1970s rock.

The band 'America' is one of my favorites- here are a couple of their songs-

'Lonely People'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fu4h4xqdJ_8

'Tin Man'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-VGxYAVx-0


'Sister Golden Hair'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LzUQZw3wfro

'Horse with No Name'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0KKGdb4qUY


Another early 70s rock band I love was 'Bread'

Here is their song 'make It With You':

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFa5E8q-940

'Diary'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24IfD-0VUu4


A great Canadian band was the Guess Who- they had some amazing songs-

'Share The Land'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLQJ4toj-JY

'Undun'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLMF5GM0Kt8


American Woman (live)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tZ5cwm4jQc


Another great early 70s band was 'Seals and Croft'
here is their song 'Summer breeze':

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPLfDBcu_U0



Any other fans of early 70s 'soft rock'?
Last edited by StrangeNightOfStone on Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Sometimes I wonder how long the blues is gonna last-cause' every song sounds like the one before last."
BallroomDays67
Senior Member
Posts: 1976
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2007 12:06 am

Post by BallroomDays67 »

They may not have been the most consistent band, but The Guess Who did indeed have some amazing songs. The same goes for Bread.

Speaking of Bread, had you noticed this? http://www.thefreedomman.com/forum/view ... hp?p=37803
Last edited by BallroomDays67 on Sat Dec 19, 2009 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hardrockcafe
Senior Member
Posts: 2163
Joined: Sat Dec 02, 2006 5:33 pm

Post by hardrockcafe »

I assume you guys have read the blog entry by the lead singer of the Guess Who where he recounts hanging out with Jim Morrison in 1969?

http://www.officialburtoncummings.com/b ... ember.html
BallroomDays67
Senior Member
Posts: 1976
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2007 12:06 am

Post by BallroomDays67 »

I have, and it's a great story.
User avatar
StrangeNightOfStone
Senior Member
Posts: 2087
Joined: Sat Apr 12, 2008 12:05 am
Location: Boston, Massachusetts, USA, Earth

Post by StrangeNightOfStone »

hardrockcafe wrote:I assume you guys have read the blog entry by the lead singer of the Guess Who where he recounts hanging out with Jim Morrison in 1969?

http://www.officialburtoncummings.com/b ... ember.html


What an awesome account- I love the Guess Who, and never realized lead singer Burton Cummings was such a hardcore Doors fan...and his comments about Jim are about the most positive I've read in a long time...
"Sometimes I wonder how long the blues is gonna last-cause' every song sounds like the one before last."
User avatar
twilla
Senior Member
Posts: 638
Joined: Tue Apr 28, 2009 5:22 pm
Location: New Mexico

Post by twilla »

Article on 70's bands
vote for your favorite
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/32512052/ns ... ent-music/
User avatar
jamestkirk
Senior Member
Posts: 5816
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2007 9:11 pm
Location: The Music Of My Mind

Post by jamestkirk »

Some Great bands! Guess Who's "American Woman" is a fantastic LP
and most consistent.....No Sugar Tonight & New Mother Nature....
"Bag o' goodies and a bottle o' wine, gonna get it on right tonight!"

"Horse With No Name" is great..when I first heard it on the radio,
I thought it was CSN&Y...Neil on lead vocals!

Emitt Rhodes (formerly of LA's Merry-Go-Round)
is a favorite of mine......he played all instruments, wrote and sang
vocals, produced and mixed...all recorded in his home studio.

Four great songs from Emitt's 1st LP... YOU MUST LIVE TILL
YOU DIE, YOU MUST FEEL TO BE ALIVE!
Give him a listen...turn it up loud!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3CvzawbXLS8


BADFINGER...one of my all time favorites!!!
"After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music".

-Aldous Huxley
BallroomDays67
Senior Member
Posts: 1976
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2007 12:06 am

Post by BallroomDays67 »

I'm a Badfinger fan too. I met Joey when he was a guest at one of the L.A. Beatlefests. He got up on stage in the main ballroom and spoke about Badfinger and answered questions, performed a few songs with his Badfinger band, and then signed autographs. His Badfinger band was LOUD!

I asked him why they didn't perform "Come and Get It" considering it was Beatlefest and the song was written by Paul McCartney. He said that they were working up a new arrangement.
User avatar
StrangeNightOfStone
Senior Member
Posts: 2087
Joined: Sat Apr 12, 2008 12:05 am
Location: Boston, Massachusetts, USA, Earth

Post by StrangeNightOfStone »

BallroomDays67 wrote:I'm a Badfinger fan too. I met Joey when he was a guest at one of the L.A. Beatlefests. He got up on stage in the main ballroom and spoke about Badfinger and answered questions, performed a few songs with his Badfinger band, and then signed autographs. His Badfinger band was LOUD!

I asked him why they didn't perform "Come and Get It" considering it was Beatlefest and the song was written by Paul McCartney. He said that they were working up a new arrangement.

I love Badfinger!!

Here is Paul Mccartney's demo of 'Come And Get It":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1xss8MlwCk


And Badfinger's version:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bk57K4OGrAg


Badfinger's epic 'No Matter What'


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBMRiNLJm5o
"Sometimes I wonder how long the blues is gonna last-cause' every song sounds like the one before last."
User avatar
twilla
Senior Member
Posts: 638
Joined: Tue Apr 28, 2009 5:22 pm
Location: New Mexico

Post by twilla »

User avatar
jamestkirk
Senior Member
Posts: 5816
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2007 9:11 pm
Location: The Music Of My Mind

Post by jamestkirk »

Badfinger's "Straight Up" is their masterpiece. I have a German pressing with the songs all in a different order than the USA release...
it works better! I wonder which track listing was preferred by Badfinger.
Has there been a more tragic ending for a band...two suicides by hanging?!



Some great ones here. I love Lightfoot, twilla.... & Croce.

Cat Stevens..perfect!
I remember when he was detained at Bangor (Maine) international airport because of his new Muslim name.....
they were a bit freaked since the 911 terrorists came undetected thru Maine airports. Not sure if they let him thru after he sang a song.... :wink:
"After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music".

-Aldous Huxley
User avatar
StrangeNightOfStone
Senior Member
Posts: 2087
Joined: Sat Apr 12, 2008 12:05 am
Location: Boston, Massachusetts, USA, Earth

Post by StrangeNightOfStone »


Great ones! I really like Gordon Lightfoot, 'Sundown; in particular....

I always wondered had Jim lived and stayed with the Doors, if they would have gone in the directiuon of the 'soft rock' trend that defined much of early-mid 1970s rock...People shouldn't knock 'soft rock', some amazing tunes can be found in that rock sub genre...
"Sometimes I wonder how long the blues is gonna last-cause' every song sounds like the one before last."
User avatar
StrangeNightOfStone
Senior Member
Posts: 2087
Joined: Sat Apr 12, 2008 12:05 am
Location: Boston, Massachusetts, USA, Earth

Post by StrangeNightOfStone »

BallroomDays67 wrote:I'm a Badfinger fan too. I met Joey when he was a guest at one of the L.A. Beatlefests. He got up on stage in the main ballroom and spoke about Badfinger and answered questions, performed a few songs with his Badfinger band, and then signed autographs. His Badfinger band was LOUD!

I asked him why they didn't perform "Come and Get It" considering it was Beatlefest and the song was written by Paul McCartney. He said that they were working up a new arrangement.

I didn't realize how much tragedy surrounded 'Badfinger'..
"Sometimes I wonder how long the blues is gonna last-cause' every song sounds like the one before last."
User avatar
twilla
Senior Member
Posts: 638
Joined: Tue Apr 28, 2009 5:22 pm
Location: New Mexico

Post by twilla »

Good music is good music
:wink:
User avatar
fpicks
Senior Member
Posts: 140
Joined: Mon Mar 17, 2008 10:53 pm

Post by fpicks »

Pick up the new "Big Star" box set. It is amazing
User avatar
StrangeNightOfStone
Senior Member
Posts: 2087
Joined: Sat Apr 12, 2008 12:05 am
Location: Boston, Massachusetts, USA, Earth

Post by StrangeNightOfStone »

Here is Jim Croce doing an amazing performances of 'Bad Bad Leroy Brown'- He precedes this performance of the song with the story of what the song is all about...
Watch this- anyone who walks away not seeing Croce as amazing musician must be high...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GeqjobpADvU


The guitarist playing with him (I forget his name) also died in the plane crash which took Croce's life....
"Sometimes I wonder how long the blues is gonna last-cause' every song sounds like the one before last."
User avatar
StrangeNightOfStone
Senior Member
Posts: 2087
Joined: Sat Apr 12, 2008 12:05 am
Location: Boston, Massachusetts, USA, Earth

Post by StrangeNightOfStone »

Another favorite-

'Hold Your Head Up' by Argent:


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBnSWJHawQQ
"Sometimes I wonder how long the blues is gonna last-cause' every song sounds like the one before last."
User avatar
StrangeNightOfStone
Senior Member
Posts: 2087
Joined: Sat Apr 12, 2008 12:05 am
Location: Boston, Massachusetts, USA, Earth

Post by StrangeNightOfStone »

One of my favorites songs from the 1970s was 'Baker Street' by Gerry Rafferty . One of the best sax solos ever:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EgbGaYTkkPU
"Sometimes I wonder how long the blues is gonna last-cause' every song sounds like the one before last."
User avatar
StrangeNightOfStone
Senior Member
Posts: 2087
Joined: Sat Apr 12, 2008 12:05 am
Location: Boston, Massachusetts, USA, Earth

Post by StrangeNightOfStone »

Then there are some of the 'hokey' songs from the 1970s- which are good, but a bit silly-

Lonely Boy by Andrew Gold

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCOS2vOxuXE

'There's Got To Be A Morning After' by Maureen McGovern
(Made famous in 'The Poseidon Adventure)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcLazPauA1c


'You Light Up my Life' by Debbie Boone (the spawn of Pat Boone)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b07-yKnKRMQ

'Fernando' by ABBA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ohr4P8E_io
"Sometimes I wonder how long the blues is gonna last-cause' every song sounds like the one before last."
User avatar
twilla
Senior Member
Posts: 638
Joined: Tue Apr 28, 2009 5:22 pm
Location: New Mexico

Post by twilla »

StrangeNightOfStone wrote:Then there are some of the 'hokey' songs from the 1970s- which are good, but a bit silly-

Lonely Boy by Andrew Gold

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCOS2vOxuXE

'There's Got To Be A Morning After' by Maureen McGovern
(Made famous in 'The Poseidon Adventure)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcLazPauA1c


'You Light Up my Life' by Debbie Boone (the spawn of Pat Boone)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b07-yKnKRMQ

'Fernando' by ABBA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ohr4P8E_io
oh yuk those were hokey
I hated you light up my Life :lol:

and how about
Thank you for being a friend by Andrew Gold
http://www.last.fm/music/Andrew+Gold/_/ ... g+a+Friend
User avatar
StrangeNightOfStone
Senior Member
Posts: 2087
Joined: Sat Apr 12, 2008 12:05 am
Location: Boston, Massachusetts, USA, Earth

Post by StrangeNightOfStone »

twilla wrote:
StrangeNightOfStone wrote:Then there are some of the 'hokey' songs from the 1970s- which are good, but a bit silly-

Lonely Boy by Andrew Gold

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCOS2vOxuXE

'There's Got To Be A Morning After' by Maureen McGovern
(Made famous in 'The Poseidon Adventure)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcLazPauA1c


'You Light Up my Life' by Debbie Boone (the spawn of Pat Boone)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b07-yKnKRMQ

'Fernando' by ABBA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ohr4P8E_io
oh yuk those were hokey
I hated you light up my Life :lol:

and how about
Thank you for being a friend by Andrew Gold
http://www.last.fm/music/Andrew+Gold/_/ ... g+a+Friend
Andrew Gold....ugh

Remember Meri Wilson's 'Telephone Man'?


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qO18k215gpk

or
Michael martin Murphey's "Wildfire"?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gl4Y4FWWkn0
"Sometimes I wonder how long the blues is gonna last-cause' every song sounds like the one before last."
User avatar
twilla
Senior Member
Posts: 638
Joined: Tue Apr 28, 2009 5:22 pm
Location: New Mexico

Post by twilla »

Here is one I always liked
Steely Dan
Do it Again
http://www.last.fm/music/Steely+Dan/_/D ... ?autostart
User avatar
twilla
Senior Member
Posts: 638
Joined: Tue Apr 28, 2009 5:22 pm
Location: New Mexico

Post by twilla »

StrangeNightOfStone wrote:
twilla wrote:
StrangeNightOfStone wrote:Then there are some of the 'hokey' songs from the 1970s- which are good, but a bit silly-

Lonely Boy by Andrew Gold

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCOS2vOxuXE

'There's Got To Be A Morning After' by Maureen McGovern
(Made famous in 'The Poseidon Adventure)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcLazPauA1c


'You Light Up my Life' by Debbie Boone (the spawn of Pat Boone)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b07-yKnKRMQ

'Fernando' by ABBA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ohr4P8E_io
oh yuk those were hokey
I hated you light up my Life :lol:

and how about
Thank you for being a friend by Andrew Gold
http://www.last.fm/music/Andrew+Gold/_/ ... g+a+Friend
Andrew Gold....ugh

Remember Meri Wilson's 'Telephone Man'?


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qO18k215gpk

or
Michael martin Murphey's "Wildfire"?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gl4Y4FWWkn0
I thought Telephone man was funny
yeah baby tell me where you want it and I'll put where I can do la le la le
get it anyway you can

Michael Martin Murphey lives in Red River NM part of the time
Last edited by twilla on Fri Dec 18, 2009 12:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
StrangeNightOfStone
Senior Member
Posts: 2087
Joined: Sat Apr 12, 2008 12:05 am
Location: Boston, Massachusetts, USA, Earth

Post by StrangeNightOfStone »

Being a child of the late 60s/early 70s, my first exposure to music was on Sat. morning, in between the cartoons; in the form of the 'Schoolhouse Rock' musical cartoon shorts..
I remember watching the Schoolhouse Rock cartoons on tv way back in '73

Here are my favorites-

'Conjunction Junction'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkO87mkgcNo

'No more kings'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofYmhlclqr4

'Interjections'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhHpJ45_zwM

'Interplanet Janet'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PfPEvKsme-c

'The Tale of Mr Norton'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7S_B9GcRI0

'Rock Rufus Xavier Sarsparilla'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOaty7FpwMI
"Sometimes I wonder how long the blues is gonna last-cause' every song sounds like the one before last."
User avatar
twilla
Senior Member
Posts: 638
Joined: Tue Apr 28, 2009 5:22 pm
Location: New Mexico

Post by twilla »

OMG
:lol:
I can't believe you remember those
User avatar
jamestkirk
Senior Member
Posts: 5816
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2007 9:11 pm
Location: The Music Of My Mind

Post by jamestkirk »

God, I wore this one out back in '71...!!!

"AMERICAN PIE" Don McLean

"Bye bye miss American pie, drove my Chevy to the levy, but the levy was dry....
And them good 'ol boys were drinkin' whiskey and rye
Singing, "this'll be the day that I die, this'll be the day that I die..."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9IXqQwC ... re=related


:mrgreen:
"After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music".

-Aldous Huxley
User avatar
StrangeNightOfStone
Senior Member
Posts: 2087
Joined: Sat Apr 12, 2008 12:05 am
Location: Boston, Massachusetts, USA, Earth

Post by StrangeNightOfStone »

jamestkirk wrote:God, I wore this one out back in '71...!!!

"AMERICAN PIE" Don McLean

"Bye bye miss American pie, drove my Chevy to the levy, but the levy was dry....
And them good 'ol boys were drinkin' whiskey and rye
Singing, "this'll be the day that I die, this'll be the day that I die..."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9IXqQwC ... re=related


:mrgreen:

Great song!


I loved Weird Al Yankovic's 'Star Wars- The Phanton menance' spin on 'American Pie'; 'The Saga Begins':

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HrN7vifyoKc



Madonna's cover of 'American Pie' wasn't bad:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MlxVvOeoz6I


Of course for a woman in her 50s gyrating like she was still 23...well, that's a bit creepy....When I was in high school in the early/mid 1980s, Madonna was hot, in an uber slutty sort of way...

But she's since withered and rotted like grapes left on the vine..
Last edited by StrangeNightOfStone on Fri Dec 18, 2009 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Sometimes I wonder how long the blues is gonna last-cause' every song sounds like the one before last."
User avatar
jamestkirk
Senior Member
Posts: 5816
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2007 9:11 pm
Location: The Music Of My Mind

Post by jamestkirk »

....so much for aging gracefully. I believe some cultures still honor the older and believe that aging is a beautiful and enlightening process....to be revered. Maybe I'm just OLD....what do you young folks here think?
Am I just a relic of the golden age and should just curl up in a corner and be quiet about such things as aging gracefully?

The far out subject of The Picture of Dorian Gray has become a modern day nightmare reality...beauty without-- ugliness within....let's get our priorities straight World!
"After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music".

-Aldous Huxley
User avatar
MistyJm
Senior Member
Posts: 3309
Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2008 3:32 pm

Post by MistyJm »

The hype of botox and all that stuff does freak me out a bit.
All these woman walking around with plastic. And faces completely stretched to the backside of their head. I like natural beauty. Nothing can ever beat that.
If you take good care of yourself and age with confident you can look very young and beautiful getting older.
Problaby even more without the botox and operations.

If I look at Madonna and Nicole Kidman for example. Then I'm thinking, are they out of their feakin minds. They look like robots. No emotion. So unreal. They all look the same. What message does that give to young girls?
It makes girls feel even more insecure about there physical appearance wich is sad.

I'm perfectly happy with my inside and outside. Not wanting doctors or injections at all. Beside the fact that I hate hospitals. :lol: It's just not something for me. Who knows maybe I would change my mind in the future but I work out, and take good care of my skin. So I don't see myself changing my mind.

Beauty does come from the inside. So true Scott.
I'm not denying that we all wanna look good. Nothing wrong with that. But where are the bounderies? When is it enough?
The hype that is going on now I don't like.

But that's just my personal opinion.
User avatar
twilla
Senior Member
Posts: 638
Joined: Tue Apr 28, 2009 5:22 pm
Location: New Mexico

Post by twilla »

My office does the botox, collegen injections, laser all that
Laser can be a good benefit for some, the i don't know about the other
I think the collegan injections mess their faces up and make them look distorted.
some have so much plastic surgery and then injections and look like freaks to be frank.
Post Reply