THE TURTLES/Flo & Eddie

Discussions of other bands, including D21C/ROTS should go here.

Moderators: The Freedom Man, TheDoorsMusic

Post Reply
User avatar
jamestkirk
Senior Member
Posts: 5816
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2007 9:11 pm
Location: The Music Of My Mind

THE TURTLES/Flo & Eddie

Post by jamestkirk »

They keep moving up in my estimation. They deserve their own here if any do.



I always loved/love their music but the respect they deserve is increasing everyday as I listen and read, more & more, by and about them....Mark & Howard.

Image

I love all the singles....but this is my favorite period as they moved to break from the mold...

The first two singles in 1968, "Sound Asleep" and "The Story of Rock and Roll", stalled somewhere in the middle of the top 100. The band's fortunes changed when Chip Douglas returned to work with them in the studio. Late in 1968 the band released a concept album called The Turtles Present the Battle of the Bands, in which the group pretended to be 11 different bands (with names including 'The Bigg Brothers', 'Nature's Children', 'the US Teens featuring Raoul', and 'the Fabulous Dawgs'), each with a song in a different genre. The album yielded two singles: "Elenore" and "You Showed Me" (both peaking at No. 6). As of 2011[update] "Elenore" is the only Hot 100 single which ever rhymed the phrase et cetera in its lyrics, though with an AACBBC rhyming pattern it doesn't actually rhyme very well with the word "better" in the sixth line. It also reached #7 in the UK chart.[3] The 1969 hit "You Showed Me" had been written by Byrds Gene Clark and Roger (then Jim) McGuinn in 1964. Television appearances in 1968 include a Feb. 26 visit to The Mike Douglas Show, to which they returned in April 1969.

Towards the end of 1969, the group released its next album, Turtle Soup, a critically well-received LP produced by Ray Davies of the Kinks. Inspired by the revered 1968 concept album The Kinks Are the Village Green Preservation Society, this was Davies’s only production work for another band. Notable tracks include "Somewhere Friday Nite" and "Love in the City". In spite of Turtle Soup's positive reception from the music press, its commercial success was marginal and the band soon began to disintegrate...


HERE IS THE STORY OF THEIR ENDLESS LEGAL BATTLES...in their own words!! I gues one needs to have their sense of humour to make through such things. Why are there so many crooks in the business taking advantage of these kids....all they want is to make music and be recognized...and sure, make a good living at it....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5JHN5HaUg28




[Image

Here is a song from Wooden head...I can't find any plays but the words show their movement away from the pop hit scene...





WE AIN’T GONNA PARTY NO MORE

I heard about a man, who said that he found a plan

To end all the wars of man

But nobody cared

He asked them to drop their guns to come home and love someone

Watch corn in the morning sun

Plan children to bear

Since I was just a little boy I’ve been hearing tales of war

How if we don’t make men destroy every land outside our shore

How will they know we mean to fight?

For what is worth fighting for

I’ll never hold a gun for them against my brothers cross the sea

There’s so much work to do at home when the mind and soul are free

When will they send my brothers home so they can be free with me

You better end the war as quick as you can

There’s hunger in America we need every man

We’ve got ignorance, pollution and so much more

If there’s one thing we don't need it’s your damn war

We ain’t gonna party no more, you went to war and you didn’t even tell us

We ain’t gonna party no more

We ain’t gonna party no more, you can’t hold up the flag and try to lie behind it

We ain’t gonna party no more

Oh spacious skies for waves of grain once I pledge myself to you

I pledge to textbooks, dates and names and the dreams I thought came true

How can my daughter do the same?

For your red, white and blue

We ain’t gonna party no more

We ain’t gonna party no more

We ain’t gonna party no more

We ain’t gonna party no more




HAPPY TOGETHER!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zv85y08a ... re=related



Share your TURTLES faves...or accolades. Later some Flo & Eddie and Mothers!!



:mrgreen:
"After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music".

-Aldous Huxley
User avatar
silentseason
Senior Member
Posts: 468
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:23 pm

Post by silentseason »

Here is one of two (I think) appearances on the Smothers Brothers Comedy Hour. The SmoBros really had great acts on their show.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rt03QFur ... afe=active
You set the scene
User avatar
jamestkirk
Senior Member
Posts: 5816
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2007 9:11 pm
Location: The Music Of My Mind

Post by jamestkirk »

silentseason wrote:Here is one of two (I think) appearances on the Smothers Brothers Comedy Hour. The SmoBros really had great acts on their show.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rt03QFur ... afe=active
For sure! I have a double DVD of all the Smothers shows musical acts.

Flo & Eddie with Zappa
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pdESFyr ... re=related

Flo & Eddie-Moving Targets
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F36Vpx4d ... re=related

Get Away Back To LA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vx8yaoaM ... re=related

=)
"After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music".

-Aldous Huxley
User avatar
silentseason
Senior Member
Posts: 468
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:23 pm

Post by silentseason »

jamestkirk wrote:
silentseason wrote:Here is one of two (I think) appearances on the Smothers Brothers Comedy Hour. The SmoBros really had great acts on their show.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rt03QFur ... afe=active
For sure! I have a double DVD of all the Smothers shows musical acts.

Flo & Eddie with Zappa
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pdESFyr ... re=related

Flo & Eddie-Moving Targets
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F36Vpx4d ... re=related

Get Away Back To LA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vx8yaoaM ... re=related

=)
Is that a commerical release or other? That is an awesome collection of music. Maybe only Ed Sullivan might top that, and the commercial releases put out for him aren't what they could be.

I have the Doors and the Kids are Alright which leads off with the Who's performance/explosion of 'My Generation' on the SmoBros (maybe the best live music performance on TV ever), but nothing else on DVD from their show.
You set the scene
User avatar
jamestkirk
Senior Member
Posts: 5816
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2007 9:11 pm
Location: The Music Of My Mind

Post by jamestkirk »

silentseason wrote:
jamestkirk wrote:
silentseason wrote:Here is one of two (I think) appearances on the Smothers Brothers Comedy Hour. The SmoBros really had great acts on their show.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rt03QFur ... afe=active
For sure! I have a double DVD of all the Smothers shows musical acts.

Flo & Eddie with Zappa
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pdESFyr ... re=related

Flo & Eddie-Moving Targets
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F36Vpx4d ... re=related

Get Away Back To LA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vx8yaoaM ... re=related

=)
Is that a commerical release or other? That is an awesome collection of music. Maybe only Ed Sullivan might top that, and the commercial releases put out for him aren't what they could be.

I have the Doors and the Kids are Alright which leads off with the Who's performance/explosion of 'My Generation' on the SmoBros (maybe the best live music performance on TV ever), but nothing else on DVD from their show.
It must be an assembled bootleg.....I got mine from a friend...

Here is one for sale...
http://www.ioffer.com/i/smothers-brothe ... d-28863051


:mrgreen:
"After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music".

-Aldous Huxley
Post Reply