Jim's last notebook from Paris
Moderator: The Freedom Man
-
Snakeskin
- Registered User
- Posts: 22
- Joined: Sun May 14, 2006 9:59 pm
Jim's last notebook from Paris
Jim's last notebook from Paris was sold on EBAY for $134thousand and change. That's a lot for someone that wasn't such a great poet. Vince what do you think about this?
-
Snakeskin
- Registered User
- Posts: 22
- Joined: Sun May 14, 2006 9:59 pm
You are right. The only reason it sold that much, it because it's the last thing he wrote before he died. I'm just wondering who is the person that sold it and how did they acquire it.jim4371 wrote:Believe it or not, the fact that it was one of the last things a dead rock icon wrote just might compensate for the fact that the writings suck-diddly-uck.
"Jerk-Bait Scrotum Inc."
What a brilliant line.
-
vince
- Senior Member
- Posts: 636
- Joined: Tue Apr 25, 2006 4:37 pm
- Location: Kimpo City, Korea
Last Hurrah
The fact that Jim had notebooks and wrote many things is well known. That he died and left a box, or "Trunk" with those books in it, is a story told by people without witness or substantiation or documentation.
In any case, any person who invests a lot of money in any literature, documents, art and other manuscripts does so for one of two reasons. They are either collectors of such artifacts for their own personal pride OR they are interested in the future increase in value of such items.
Remember that Vincent Van Gogh never got money for any of his paintings, Yet the highest purchase price paid for any painting in history was 8 Million $$ by a Japanese collector of Van Gogh.
What is written in Jim's books is not relevant to the auction value of those things. The market says they are worth 134 thousand $$$. No one bought them for specific words, they bought them as an investment hoping to either add to an exclusive collection or to resell at some future time.
Was it a wise investment? I thnink the Japanese guy made a wise investment. I think the guy who bought those books was not as lucky. What is written in those books is not relevant. That fact that whatever is there was written by James Douglas Morrsion is what made them valuable to someone.
Then again, I may be proven wrong. Time will tell.
In any case, any person who invests a lot of money in any literature, documents, art and other manuscripts does so for one of two reasons. They are either collectors of such artifacts for their own personal pride OR they are interested in the future increase in value of such items.
Remember that Vincent Van Gogh never got money for any of his paintings, Yet the highest purchase price paid for any painting in history was 8 Million $$ by a Japanese collector of Van Gogh.
What is written in Jim's books is not relevant to the auction value of those things. The market says they are worth 134 thousand $$$. No one bought them for specific words, they bought them as an investment hoping to either add to an exclusive collection or to resell at some future time.
Was it a wise investment? I thnink the Japanese guy made a wise investment. I think the guy who bought those books was not as lucky. What is written in those books is not relevant. That fact that whatever is there was written by James Douglas Morrsion is what made them valuable to someone.
Then again, I may be proven wrong. Time will tell.
Vince
Road Manager
The Doors
Road Manager
The Doors
-
Snakeskin
- Registered User
- Posts: 22
- Joined: Sun May 14, 2006 9:59 pm
It doesn't matter how good his writing were. It was the fact that it was his last writing that is a good investment.Snakeskin wrote:You are right. The only reason it sold that much, it because it's the last thing he wrote before he died. I'm just wondering who is the person that sold it and how did they acquire it.jim4371 wrote:Believe it or not, the fact that it was one of the last things a dead rock icon wrote just might compensate for the fact that the writings suck-diddly-uck.
"Jerk-Bait Scrotum Inc."
What a brilliant line.
When you die young, it's like Marilyn Monroe, James
Dean, They have been dead for years, yet they still
sell. So that's the reason Ray is not stupid/ He knows
that Jim is a money machine. Ray knows how to
promote the myth of James D Morrison........ :!:
-
vince
- Senior Member
- Posts: 636
- Joined: Tue Apr 25, 2006 4:37 pm
- Location: Kimpo City, Korea
Money Machine
That may be true but in this case I do not think Ray had much to do with this item. I believe this whole trunk load of material - however much there is, now belongs to outsiders. Even the Cursons do not have control if I understand correctly.
I have expressed a wonder that Money is not the only reason Ray is so dedicated to perpetuation of the Morrison Myth. Money is the result, to be sure. What might really lie behind it all?
They certainly cannot rely on the Jim Myth to attract audiences to current performances evidently with a five man band.
Of course, I admit readily that Ray is trying to provide the same mystique to Ian, shamanism (What the excuse this time) and Greek heroes. It seems that we will hear the same old story all over again.
With all due respect to Ray, He should spend more time extoling the virtues of the Music of the new ensemble and what they are trying to do rather than promoting the image of a dead man to make the new group popular. Everyone knows the background and origins o the myth. It is getting tiresome. When applied to every singer the imitation group may have it really strains credibility.
Ray is a talented artist. He does not need the Jim myth to be succesful. I say again, this fixation cannot be based solely on money it has to besome mental fixation for it to go on so long, intensly, and dedication. Kind of sad, actually.
We need to get another train to New York, Ray, The Boston train is derailed, the Engineer long dead. Time for a New adventure.
I have expressed a wonder that Money is not the only reason Ray is so dedicated to perpetuation of the Morrison Myth. Money is the result, to be sure. What might really lie behind it all?
They certainly cannot rely on the Jim Myth to attract audiences to current performances evidently with a five man band.
Of course, I admit readily that Ray is trying to provide the same mystique to Ian, shamanism (What the excuse this time) and Greek heroes. It seems that we will hear the same old story all over again.
With all due respect to Ray, He should spend more time extoling the virtues of the Music of the new ensemble and what they are trying to do rather than promoting the image of a dead man to make the new group popular. Everyone knows the background and origins o the myth. It is getting tiresome. When applied to every singer the imitation group may have it really strains credibility.
Ray is a talented artist. He does not need the Jim myth to be succesful. I say again, this fixation cannot be based solely on money it has to besome mental fixation for it to go on so long, intensly, and dedication. Kind of sad, actually.
We need to get another train to New York, Ray, The Boston train is derailed, the Engineer long dead. Time for a New adventure.
Vince
Road Manager
The Doors
Road Manager
The Doors
-
cutis
- Senior Member
- Posts: 458
- Joined: Sun May 21, 2006 2:55 am
Re: Jim's last notebook from Paris
[quote="Snakeskin" That's a lot for someone that wasn't such a great poet. quote]
Snakeskin, why do you enjoy making it so abundantly clear that Morrison wasn't a "great poet?" It's your opinion and probably worth a lot less than the price paid for Jim's last writings.....
Snakeskin, why do you enjoy making it so abundantly clear that Morrison wasn't a "great poet?" It's your opinion and probably worth a lot less than the price paid for Jim's last writings.....
-
vince
- Senior Member
- Posts: 636
- Joined: Tue Apr 25, 2006 4:37 pm
- Location: Kimpo City, Korea
THoughts
Curtis.
Each one of the peeps here are entitled to their own opinion about what they like and do not like. Critics also suggest that Jim was not such a great "Poet".
We must not evaluate anyone's comments. This is a place for saying what we feel, for the Truth and for details that help us find more information about the Doors.
Please don't cut anyone down for expressing their feelings, even when you don't agree. It is OK to disagree - in a gentlemanly manner. with all due respect.
OK, Buddy?
Each one of the peeps here are entitled to their own opinion about what they like and do not like. Critics also suggest that Jim was not such a great "Poet".
We must not evaluate anyone's comments. This is a place for saying what we feel, for the Truth and for details that help us find more information about the Doors.
Please don't cut anyone down for expressing their feelings, even when you don't agree. It is OK to disagree - in a gentlemanly manner. with all due respect.
OK, Buddy?
Vince
Road Manager
The Doors
Road Manager
The Doors
-
cutis
- Senior Member
- Posts: 458
- Joined: Sun May 21, 2006 2:55 am
OK, thanks for the reminder, Vince. I just get perturbed by some of these postings by Doors fans who seem to love to remind the world at large that Jim was no "great poet." I don't think Jim was a great poet either but I also don't feel the need to "diss" him either when it comes to the poetry he did write. And that's how these postings come across to me.
But you are correct. To each his own. I have to learn better to not let some of these opinions get to me as much.
But you are correct. To each his own. I have to learn better to not let some of these opinions get to me as much.
-
Snakeskin
- Registered User
- Posts: 22
- Joined: Sun May 14, 2006 9:59 pm
I wasn't trying to DISS him. The Celebration of the Lizardcutis wrote:OK, thanks for the reminder, Vince. I just get perturbed by some of these postings by Doors fans who seem to love to remind the world at large that Jim was no "great poet." I don't think Jim was a great poet either but I also don't feel the need to "diss" him either when it comes to the poetry he did write. And that's how these postings come across to me.
But you are correct. To each his own. I have to learn better to not let some of these opinions get to me as much.
if a pretty good masterpiece. But, I have seen the writings that were sold. The words weren't saying much.
-
vince
- Senior Member
- Posts: 636
- Joined: Tue Apr 25, 2006 4:37 pm
- Location: Kimpo City, Korea
Value
You know it is interesting about the value of artistic workd.
As you point out and I agree, there is a number of Jim's writings that appear to be collections of meaningless words. These have been included in the "Collected Works".
I will admit that I would not give a second glance, except perhaps in shock, to a picasso either. But he seemed to fool most of the art world for a long time.
SOme of the things that Jim wrote, expecially that which made it onto recordings, were really provocative. They were abstract in some ways. They brought images of things many people, in that time, had not thought about. Thus - Acid Rock.
Remember also that over the years, there has been a constant campaign to promote anything that Jim touched. I think most of the motive for this was economic. Under that circumstance the quality of the goods are less important than the qualtity.
Years ago, those who write things had the tendancy to toss thei bad and preserve that which they felt was good. Jim judt kept everything in his books so the culling was a little more difficult.
As you point out and I agree, there is a number of Jim's writings that appear to be collections of meaningless words. These have been included in the "Collected Works".
I will admit that I would not give a second glance, except perhaps in shock, to a picasso either. But he seemed to fool most of the art world for a long time.
SOme of the things that Jim wrote, expecially that which made it onto recordings, were really provocative. They were abstract in some ways. They brought images of things many people, in that time, had not thought about. Thus - Acid Rock.
Remember also that over the years, there has been a constant campaign to promote anything that Jim touched. I think most of the motive for this was economic. Under that circumstance the quality of the goods are less important than the qualtity.
Years ago, those who write things had the tendancy to toss thei bad and preserve that which they felt was good. Jim judt kept everything in his books so the culling was a little more difficult.
Vince
Road Manager
The Doors
Road Manager
The Doors
-
JLizard
- Registered User
- Posts: 39
- Joined: Tue Jul 25, 2006 5:56 pm
- Location: Indiana Harbor
Besides the memories...
Vince, can we ask what you think is your most valuable DOORS collectable?
Thanks.
Thanks.
-
vince
- Senior Member
- Posts: 636
- Joined: Tue Apr 25, 2006 4:37 pm
- Location: Kimpo City, Korea
Collectables
JLIZARD:
Of course you can ask.....
I think it is likely the Drum John gave me. Possibly the 400 foot seqment of the Cow Palace performance. Maybe some of the stage mikes that were used in both the performances and the Movie.
Certainly not as much as I once had.
Photos of the music sections of Stones Movie taken on site. This includes Paul Rothschild and others involved. have the begatives to all that as well. maybe more than 200 photos.
How about a script section of the Movie. Maybe more than one.
Other things I may not remember at this moment
Payroll check stubs from the Doors. List of things Road Managers should have to and so on. I think I have a copy of the New Orleans contract.
Of course you can ask.....
I think it is likely the Drum John gave me. Possibly the 400 foot seqment of the Cow Palace performance. Maybe some of the stage mikes that were used in both the performances and the Movie.
Certainly not as much as I once had.
Photos of the music sections of Stones Movie taken on site. This includes Paul Rothschild and others involved. have the begatives to all that as well. maybe more than 200 photos.
How about a script section of the Movie. Maybe more than one.
Other things I may not remember at this moment
Payroll check stubs from the Doors. List of things Road Managers should have to and so on. I think I have a copy of the New Orleans contract.
Vince
Road Manager
The Doors
Road Manager
The Doors