Page 1 of 1
Grace Slick
Posted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 8:05 pm
by Stuart
Hi Vince, Did you ever get a chance to converse with Grace Slick on the 68 european tour?.
Impressions?.
Slick
Posted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 2:40 pm
by vince
If I remember right, I met her, and others of the group on the 1968 Euro tour. We played with them.
As always, we had a lot to do and had little time to converse with the supposed stars of the show. They were too busy feeling important and we were busy making them seem so.
But the folks of the Airplane were sociable and I did have a word or two with them. Of course the questions were not about me, quite disaappointing, but more to the effect of working with Jim and the guys as a group.
I think the most trying encounter was Amsterdam and all the ruckus about Jim and my announcement. They were regular people. On that night, of course, we were all tested to the limit.
Now you are curious whether or not I "Know" Grace. No I met and spoke very briefly and that was it. I cannot render facts on her love life, or abuse thereof, drugs, stage presence (We did discuss sound however since we provided the PA). I can say she wanted what she got and she got what she wanted. She was a great performer. and it was an very enjoyable experience to work with them.
Posted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 5:49 pm
by universalmind69
Hmm...I`ve never thought of this before, but does anyone know if there`s
any recording of the Jefferson Airplane gig in Amsterdam (the one where Jim entered the stage and started doing "his thing"

)?
After all there`s a recording of The Doors` performance there...so why not the Airplane`s?
Posted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 6:57 pm
by windchime
universalmind69 wrote:Hmm...I`ve never thought of this before, but does anyone know if there`s
any recording of the Jefferson Airplane gig in Amsterdam (the one where Jim entered the stage and started doing "his thing"

)?
After all there`s a recording of The Doors` performance there...so why not the Airplane`s?
I tried to find it to no avail. However I did find this interview where Manzarek speaks about that performance. I will keep looking for more, perhaps even footage.
http://www.classicbands.com/RayManzarekInterview.html
Posted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 8:03 pm
by The Freedom Man
Yes, there is, but it's the late show.You can hear Marty ( i think it's him), asking the audience if it is a new audience or the same as the early show.Also if they had seen Jim dancing on stage.I have that recording.I don't know if there is a recording of the early show.This show was recorded by Durch radio, I don't know how much there was recorded that evening.But it sounds logical to me, that there must be a Radio recording from the late show by The Doors. Why should they only have recorded the late show from JA and then leave, while the main act that evening was The Doors.
Vince, any idea's?
Posted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 8:33 pm
by jim4371
Here's the etree entry for the JA show, if anyone cares..
FM sourced, curious indeed..
Amsterdam
Posted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 3:21 am
by vince
I cannot say for sure but I do know our show was recorded. Surely whome ever did this might have been interested in the whole show and done it all. HOWEVER - The Hall was cleared between shows. Unless the recorder had tickets for the second round it would be only the first show that would be saved for posterior.
We trecked with the Airplane - certainly there must be other shows recorded as well. Sweden, Denmark.....
There are 180 + people who are members of this forum. Someone has placed a Poll. Hopefully all will voice thri opinion. If there are more than 180 Vosted, we will know that the poll was packed.
Thanks to all.
Posted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 3:48 am
by jim4371
Stockholm was recorded and FM broadcast, it's very commonly traded.
Copenhagen, dono, somebody who knows more about live shit than I will be around shortly.
I hope the old members of Ed's forum come back, I think a bunch of them bailed before Vince showed up.
And I hope they throw in a few 'Yay's too.
Posted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 5:23 pm
by windchime
Site not coming up?? Anyone else?

Posted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 5:50 pm
by jim4371
Fixed.
Posted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 6:02 pm
by windchime
jim4371 wrote:Fixed.
Thanks so much, very cool.
