Page 1 of 2
Love on YouTube.....post 'em
Posted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 5:28 am
by jamestkirk
Love's first radio hit....one of only a few. Elektra's first hit...that brought tears to Holzman's eyes when he heard it for the first time on the radio driving down the Highway. SO typical for Arthur to turn a song on its head and make it his own!
MY LITTLE RED BOOK
listen to lala.com here....
http://www.google.com/search?q=my%20lit ... 8&oe=utf-8

Posted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 5:54 am
by jamestkirk
How better to officially launch the Love youtube thread (since my first post was just a streaming play!

).....
with as fine a performance Arthur EVER GAVE-- at the Royal Albert Hall!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tQspFesT3E
Brilliant! I got Moni into Love!! Have you gotten Dan into Love? Post your faves!

Posted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 2:39 pm
by jamestkirk
This may be my favorite LoVE song...it runs the full spectrum of emotion and life. The depths to the end with hope and love.....
YOU SET THE SCENE......Forever Changes
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K71uYiCr ... re=related

Posted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 11:52 am
by hourformagic
deleted
Posted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:27 pm
by The Freedom Man
Well, that's news to me.That is not jim doing a duet with Arthur!
The poster of this vid got it wrong.
Would have been Nice though...
Posted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:33 pm
by hourformagic
thefreed wrote:Well, that's news to me.That is not jim doing a duet with Arthur!
The poster of this vid got it wrong.
Would have been Nice though...
I read on Wikipedia that it was Jim, and it kinda sounds like him, so I assumed that it was.
Thanks for the correction, Ed.
Posted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:48 pm
by jamestkirk
hourformagic wrote:thefreed wrote:Well, that's news to me.That is not jim doing a duet with Arthur!
The poster of this vid got it wrong.
Would have been Nice though...
I read on Wikipedia that it was Jim, and it kinda sounds like him, so I assumed that it was.
Thanks for the correction, Ed.
Right...would have been cool!
Wiki is a wealth of often good info, but to always be taken with a grain of salt....
nothing is checked for truthfulness except by other readers...
Don't get me wrong I enjoy wiki...but sometimes I think it ought to be
called "wacky-pedia".

Posted: Thu May 06, 2010 8:03 pm
by jamestkirk
Many critics and fans alike place this in the top ten all-time albums...
FOREVER CHANGES.
If you haven't heard it or, impossibly, don't have it!....it may be my top Album of ALL. I play it often and find something new every time. It is a complex, deep, melodic, psychedelic masterpiece....that is saying something for an album released in 1967---maybe the best year for album releases of ALL TIME.
Here is "The Red Telephone" written while overlooking Laurel Canyon from his hilltop home
...Arthur had done so much to negatively impact himself, and others during his life, Arthur redeemed himself with his final performances of Forever Changes...and redeemed his life. After all, his masterpiece was about redemption for the WORLD.
"The Red Telephone"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Ioxj73deq0
Enjoy all.....

Posted: Fri May 21, 2010 4:13 pm
by jamestkirk
Every LoVE lovers' favorite tune from Arthur about the times along the Strip
....when it was all still innocent and good.....the music, the beautiful freaks and
hippies, the Canyon, the love grass (before the cocaine and 70's
destroyed the Canyon and everything innocent)...it was the best.
No song captures it better!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1PhMSTj ... re=related
ENJOY!
Posted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 6:54 pm
by jamestkirk
Holzman on Love at Bido Lito's....Jac is great to listen to...
....when is his definitive autobiography going to be written?!!
Nice clip---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06jyqg8W ... re=related
We'll post some more from LoVE STORY...the best music documentary ever!
I kid you not.
.
Posted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:51 pm
by jamestkirk
An amazing voice and guitar from the brilliant.....
Bryan MacLean...the other half of LoVE.
So beautiful and the lyrics grab!! "If You Believe In" (click on iLike play...)
http://www.google.com/search?q=if%20you ... 8&oe=utf-8
Posted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 3:18 am
by SomedaySoon
Okay, this isn't one of Arthur Lee's better performances but I love this song. There's an acoustic version of "Ninety Miles Away" from a radio show somewhere that is pretty nice, too..
This one's from the Coconut Teaszer on December 27, 1992.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7Fj0RGg3vk
I believe this video is also at LoveArthurLee.com
Posted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 7:29 pm
by SomedaySoon
Here's one I just found.. I love every single version I've ever heard of this song and this performance is no different! The energy and stage presence of Arthur Lee is EXPLOSIVE!
Here's Arthur Lee performing "Seven & Seven Is" with the Fuzztones in 1990:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k91O9yJf ... re=related
Posted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 3:27 pm
by jamestkirk
SomedaySoon wrote:Here's one I just found.. I love every single version I've ever heard of this song and this performance is no different! The energy and stage presence of Arthur Lee is EXPLOSIVE!
Here's Arthur Lee performing "Seven & Seven Is" with the Fuzztones in 1990:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k91O9yJf ... re=related
Good choice of words, Arthur certainly had a presence. I never saw him, but Ed can attest to Arthur's stature and presence in person and on stage.
Posted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:20 pm
by The Freedom Man
Uh, yes, meeting Arthur was EXPLOSIVE! What a Karma this man had!
Posted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 2:43 am
by SomedaySoon
I can only imagine! Unfortunately, I wasn't introduced to Love's music until shortly before Mr. Lee's passing. I'll never know first-hand how great it must've been to hear/see Love in concert.
Thanks to the internet, though, I can be exposed to many fantastic videos and people who've witnessed such greatness. Actually, some kind soul from Europe sent me 4 discs of Arthur Lee video a few months ago. I find myself loving the stuff from the late '80s - early '90s the most. Weird, huh?
Here's another very enjoyable performance from 1990:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8AGYGbiCR3Y
I love that guitarist, too!
Posted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:21 pm
by jim4371
Not YT but neat, Jac and Bruce and Domenic Priore
http://lovearthurlee.com/special.html
Posted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:40 am
by BallroomDays67
Thanks for the link! According to Jac, he went to the Whisky to see Love, and Arthur Lee suggested that he stick around to check out The Doors. Other sources say that Jac went to the Whisky that night specifically to see The Doors, at the request of either Arthur Lee or Ronnie Haran. Which is it?
Posted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 5:34 am
by The Freedom Man
According to the book it was Ronnie Haran who told Jac to go and see The Doors.
Posted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 6:02 am
by BallroomDays67
Yeah, it's ironic that Jac disputed that assertion at a signing for the book.
Posted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:49 pm
by jamestkirk
Jac has told it both ways, but he is consistent in saying that he did NOT ""get" the DOORS the first time and that Arthur got Jac to go back .... Arthur told Jac, "It doesn't matter if you don't like them, the kids love them!"
So after seeing the DOORS 3 or 4 times, Jac finally "got it" and the rest is history.
Love on the other hand was an instant "YES!" for Jac...he knew Love was the band he had been looking for. Now he just had to find a way to sign them. It was LoVE at first sight!
I guess we could say that Love gave Elektra respect & put Elektra on the map, but the DOORS made Elektra's fortune!
.
Posted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 6:08 pm
by jamestkirk
Possibly one of the best song titles ever....Arthur Lee had a way with song titles, often having nothing to do with the songs lyrics...try as you will, usually you will never find a line repeating the song title in the lyrics!
"Maybe the People Would be The Times or Between Clark and Hilldale"
A fantastic song with some of the wittiest rhyming ever, about the people of the times and the place to be in 1967....on the Strip, between Clark and Hilldale!! And Arthur was the Prince of the Strip, admired and worshipped by just about everyone who knew Love.
One of my favorite songs by one of my three top poets of the golden age of rock...Lee, Morrison and Clark.
Here is a brilliant live performance by Arthur...thank God we have this from 2001, since there is no live footage from the sixties, DAMN IT!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qa32txV5nDk
When Arthur was "ON" he was one of the best performers to ever hit the stage...as he is here!
CHEERS!

Posted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 6:22 pm
by The Freedom Man
Another classic from Forever Changes.
Do you think or know if there are more songs written about the strip or the Whisky?
Posted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 7:09 pm
by jamestkirk
thefreed wrote:Another classic from Forever Changes.
Do you think or know if there are more songs written about the strip or the Whisky?
Number one is our favorite by Love of course.....
Other songs about the Strip or Whiskey...
(OF NOTE-Johnny Rivers road to fame on songs partly recorded at the Whiskey...maybe the first to bring the Strip fame))
>>1966 "Going To A Go-Go" by the Miracles, covered again by the Rolling Stones in 1982
>>1966 "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield about the curfew riots on Sunset Strip
>>There was the film, "Riot On SUnset Strip" with lots of great 60's music...great soundtrack.
>>1979 Donna SUmmer had the hit "Sunset People" about people on the Strip
Not a lot, but Strip's influence on our music is huge... any one who wanted to be a star had to play there, or be seen there.
Posted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 4:49 am
by jim4371
BallroomDays67 wrote:Yeah, it's ironic that Jac disputed that assertion at a signing for the book.
Keep in mind that Ronnie sued Elektra over this very fact in ~1970 cause she wanted a cut.
Posted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 3:47 pm
by jamestkirk
A fine performance by Arthur Lee/Love (Baby Lemonade)...where is this Ed? Holland or UK?
A House Is Not A Motel...War is over...at least in Iraq.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5g8rlkW ... re=related
By the way, I'm watching Arthur & Love at the Whiskey in 1993...thanks to Ed.
We should be so lucky as to have this from the Doors.
Posted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 5:49 pm
by The Freedom Man
That is in the UK from the Glastonbury festival
good to hear you like the Whisky dvd. Yes, if we only had something from the whisky from The Doors....
Posted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 5:17 pm
by SomedaySoon
Love it! Does Arthur sing
"schools of war" or
"schools of walls"?? in the last verse?
I always thought it was
"wars" but I've read online lyrics that say it's
"walls.." Anyhow,
"more confusions, blood transfusions" indeed, the war in Iraq continues with 3 more soldiers dead..
Posted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 3:09 pm
by jamestkirk
Pretty sure it is "Schools of wars"...at least that makes the most sense and is mostly given as the lyrics. In the Live Forever Changes Concert DVD from 2003, it sounds more like "WARS",
It has been noted by a few as "walls" but those would be just guesses, I think. It certainly sounds like WALLS also, but it is likely one of those famous sound alike lyrics such as Jimi Hendrix' "'scuse me will I kiss this guy!"
Such a brilliant song though. You must see the full LoVE documentary, "Love Story", AND the FC Concert DVD, any and all who have NOT!!

Posted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 3:26 pm
by The Freedom Man
agreed, it is a war song afterall.But then again, with Arthur, you just never know...