Page 1 of 2

Arthur Lee and LoVE......DOORS

Posted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 4:28 pm
by jamestkirk
Ed has aptly placed Arthur Lee and Love all over his DOORS site....
for where would the DOORS be without Love. (Just like Ed, wouldn't we
all love to share a round with Jim and Arthur!) Arthur was the reason
the DOORS were signed by Elektra...period. What might have
happened to them on another label with different producers and
engineers nurturing them we can only guess.

But LoVE is as influential to fellow artists of the day, if not MUCH more,
and still are today.

So here is a subject dedicated to LoVE. If you love them, when did
you first discover them and if you don't really know LoVE...here is
your chance. I won't let this post fade!!

TWO GREAT SONGS FROM ONE OF THE FINEST LIVE
PERFORMANCES EVER!

ALONE AGAIN OR
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flPOlTHd ... re=related

YOU SET THE SCENE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Srbxlvki-k

The LoVE goes on forever.

:mrgreen:

Posted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 5:14 pm
by MistyJm
YOU SET THE SCENE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Srbxlvki-k

Thanks again Scott for posting this one.
This one is absolutely amazing. I favorite the video when you first posted it . And I go back many times to listen and view it again. It's so beautiful.

Ed you are so lucky to have met Arthur. Besides being a great singer/performer he seemed like such a great man. He does.

Posted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 6:27 pm
by The Freedom Man
I still think it was one of the greatest moments in my life!
I listen at least once a week to Forever Changes.

Posted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 7:02 pm
by BallroomDays67
Love is my second favorite band after The Doors, tied with The Velvet Underground. A big part of that is "Forever Changes", which I consider the best album I've ever heard. I was disappointed with "Four Sail" and "Out Here". There's some great stuff on those albums, but they really pale in comparison to FC. "Your Mind and We Belong Together" is a stellar track that shows what could have been. Instead, Love seems to have fizzled out, while the Doors finished up with two great albums in "Morrison Hotel" and "L.A. Woman". However, they recorded five of the best album sides of all-time..."and more".

Amazingly, there are no circulating early live recordings of Love. None that I know of, anyway. It's a real shame, considering they are such a legendary band. Hopefully Wolfgang's Vault has one, but that's a real long shot.

If you want to read about Love, pick up "Love: Behind the Scenes on the Pegasus Carousel" by Michael Stuart-Ware. There's some good Doors stuff in there too.

Posted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 7:33 pm
by The Freedom Man
There's a Whisky A Go Go recording, but it's in the hands of a BIG collector and we will never ever hear this one.

Four Sail isn't that bad, tracks like August, Always See Your Face, Dream, Robert Montgomery, I'm With You are the best ones imho

Posted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 7:51 pm
by BallroomDays67
I remember your telling me about that Whisky SB. I hope the collector changes his mind and does something with it.

Posted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:03 pm
by The Freedom Man
I know he paid some big $$$$'s for it.I don't think he ever will let us hear the tape.

Posted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:30 pm
by jamestkirk
thefreed wrote:I know he paid some big $$$$'s for it.I don't think he ever will let us hear the tape.
After paying such big bucks as he did, I suppose the value would drop considerably if it were to be released commercially.

Here is a clip of Densmore on LoVE and Jac on Arthur....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EeB3lKai ... re=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BoGWId-i ... re=related

:D

Posted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 2:41 am
by MistyJm
thefreed wrote:I still think it was one of the greatest moments in my life!I listen at least once a week to Forever Changes.
I can only imagine. Lucky man. :)

I still do not know a lot about arthur Lee and Love. :oops:
Really interested in hearing Forever changes, hearing the opinions of you guys. Think I am gonna buy that one first.

To bad that the Whisky a go go show will never be heard. I understand the collector payed big money for it. But it's a shame it will stay unheard though.

Posted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:16 pm
by jamestkirk
MistyJm wrote:
thefreed wrote:I still think it was one of the greatest moments in my life!I listen at least once a week to Forever Changes.
I can only imagine. Lucky man. :)

I still do not know a lot about arthur Lee and Love. :oops:
Really interested in hearing Forever changes, hearing the opinions of you guys. Think I am gonna buy that one first.

To bad that the Whisky a go go show will never be heard. I understand the collector payed big money for it. But it's a shame it will stay unheard though.
Good choice.....British Parliament stopped in the middle of a session to declare Love the greatest Rock & Roll band on earth and Forever Changes to be the greatest record ever made. That was in 2002!! when Arthur Lee & Love were touring the UK. He urged members to drop whatever they were doing and to go see Love!! In the Love Story doc, if is so touching to see a gray haired member on the Parliament grounds, on his knees, praising and bowing to Arthur Lee and Love!!

here is FC strings arranger David Angel on Arthur...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWtp0h_4 ... re=related

:mrgreen:

Posted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 4:52 am
by jamestkirk
Here is a beautiful Arthur Lee and Love song from his post-Forever Changes
days.

"FIve String Serenade"...quite nice.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXY7TjW1 ... re=related

Ed....what is this version from... S/T LP?...easy to find? I like it...very organic.
:mrgreen:

Posted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 9:32 pm
by StrangeNightOfStone
My favorite Love song-

Maybe the People Would Be the Times (or Between Clark and Hilldale)


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1PhMSTj0uw



I think this song is about the excitement on the Sunset Strip in '66

Posted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 9:34 pm
by StrangeNightOfStone
John Densmore discusses 'Love'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BoGWId-ic2w

Posted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 9:48 pm
by jamestkirk
StrangeNightOfStone wrote:My favorite Love song-

Maybe the People Would Be the Times (or Between Clark and Hilldale)


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1PhMSTj0uw



I think this song is about the excitement on the Sunset Strip in '66
And that Love was THE main excitement ...the #1 band on the strip...everyone wanted to be like Love!

Posted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 9:53 pm
by The Freedom Man
StrangeNightOfStone wrote:My favorite Love song-

Maybe the People Would Be the Times (or Between Clark and Hilldale)


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1PhMSTj0uw



I think this song is about the excitement on the Sunset Strip in '66

Arthur once said this song is about the Whisky, cause if I am correct, the Whisky is located between Clark and Hilldale...
"And here, they always play my songs"..
One of my fav's also. good choice!

I got an email from Arthur's widow, Diane.She said she has send me something....Looking forward to it, no matter what it is!

I also email with Carol Kaye every now and then, the world's Nr 1 female Bass player. She also played on Forever Changes. Andmoreagain she played bass and on The Daily Planet, electric guitar.

Posted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 11:23 pm
by StrangeNightOfStone
thefreed wrote:
StrangeNightOfStone wrote:My favorite Love song-

Maybe the People Would Be the Times (or Between Clark and Hilldale)


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1PhMSTj0uw



I think this song is about the excitement on the Sunset Strip in '66

Arthur once said this song is about the Whisky, cause if I am correct, the Whisky is located between Clark and Hilldale...
"And here, they always play my songs"..
One of my fav's also. good choice!

I got an email from Arthur's widow, Diane.She said she has send me something....Looking forward to it, no matter what it is!

I also email with Carol Kaye every now and then, the world's Nr 1 female Bass player. She also played on Forever Changes. Andmoreagain she played bass and on The Daily Planet, electric guitar.

I wonder what memories the Doors have when they hear this song? They sure do have plenty of their own memories of those days on the sunset strip.....

I suppose the Doors equivilant would be 'Soul Kitchen'- wasn't this about the Lucky U on the Sunset Strip?

Posted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 11:28 pm
by wha happened
Yes, The Whisky is on the block which is bordered by Clark and Hilldale.

I forget, but I think the Lucky U was closer to UCLA and not on Sunset.

Posted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 11:34 pm
by StrangeNightOfStone
I caught a co billing of Manzarek/McClure with Arthur Lee in Cambridge MA in the early 90s. Ray didn't stick around to watch Arthur's set, and Arthur totally slammed the Doors....I wonder how Arthur reacted in the 60s when the Doors were # 1 in the charts? Was he consumed with envy? He really thought Elektra took the money Love made for them to promote the Doors.....

Posted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 9:06 am
by The Freedom Man
I've send an email to Johnny Echols and aksed about what Arthur thought about he Doors and his reaction to it.

Posted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 7:53 pm
by The Freedom Man
Just got an email from Johnny Echols with the question I asked about Arthur liked Jim or not.AND some revealing news, guess I will have to ask him about the latest part, the new band thing!....

No, there was no animus between Love and the Doors, we thought of them as though they were our "little brothers" you see back then we were still much more popular, drawing bigger crowds, with a higher pay scale, and we always received "Top Billing" over them when we played together! I know in retrospect, that may seen strange but that was the way of the world as things existed back then!Besides Jim and I were "Buds" we along with David Crosby, were always "tripping" together," as a matter of fact by the end of 69, and the early 70s Jim had become "Burnt out" with the doors sound, so (we) David Crosby, Jim and I were considering putting together our version of a super group, along with Tjay, Henry Vestine and Larry Taylor. I've often wondered how we might have sounded, I think it would have worked since we all respected each other? Hope I have offered some new insights : Johnny Echols
PS: Arthur couldn't stand Jim, he thought he was a jerk!

Posted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 8:19 pm
by jamestkirk
thefreed wrote:Just got an email from Johnny Echols with the question I asked about Arthur liked Jim or not.AND some revealing news, guess I will have to ask him about the latest part, the new and thing!....

No, there was no animus between Love and the Doors, we thought of them as though they were our "little brothers" you see back then we were still much more popular, drawing bigger crowds, with a higher pay scale, and we always received "Top Billing" over them when we played together! I know in retrospect, that may seen strange but that was the way of the world as things existed back then!Besides Jim and I were "Buds" we along with David Crosby, were always "tripping" together," as a matter of fact by the end of 69, and the early 70s Jim had become "Burnt out" with the doors sound, so (we) David Crosby, Jim and I were considering putting together our version of a super group, along with Tjay, Henry Vestine and Larry Taylor. I've often wondered how we might have sounded, I think it would have worked since we all respected each other? Hope I have offered some new insights : Johnny Echols
PS: Arthur couldn't stand Jim, he thought he was a jerk!
Hey, Ed...was that feeling MUTUAL between jim and Arthur? Johnny is the best....
his insights are always so measured and intelligent. Really cool info...was Stephen Stills in the crowd...Hendrix and Cosby and Stills hung out a lot at Buffalo Springfield's house in the Canyon--tripping...just wondered.

Thanks Ed (and Johnny!).

Posted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 8:37 pm
by The Freedom Man
I forwarded it to Johnny.I'm very curious what he replies, also I asked him some more about the Superband!

Posted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 9:01 pm
by StrangeNightOfStone
Interesting stuff!
I heard in the early days, Jim used to hang out at Arthur's house, and became good friends with one of the members of Love- but Arthur eventually told Jim to get out- he thought he was a pest....

I'll tell you this, when i saw Arthur Lee live, I could not get over how many of his stage moves were the same as Jim Morrison's stage moves- some might think Arthur stole Jim's act, but Jim may indeed have stolen Arthur's act-Singing with eyes closed and hand cupped over one ear comes to mind..Both Arthur and Jim did that....


Arthur walks through the old 'castle'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1jpoCnlk-8

Posted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 9:07 pm
by StrangeNightOfStone
Arthur Lee talks about Jimi Hendrix

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-iQRES2wJk


Jimi and Arthur jam:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrwchbvpqBE

Posted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 3:18 pm
by The Freedom Man
Anther reply from Johnny:


No Stephen stills and l never really hung out, he did however trip with Bryan___Hendrix and I would see each other from time to time mostly at Arthur's instigation and would jam together at the house on wonderland circle. Jimi was totally involved with his axe and would "jam" continually with any one who could play, he was like a sponge picking upidea's from every one!
No, the "super group" never got past the talking stage, though David Crosby and I would often play together, trading ideas etc.

Posted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 3:40 pm
by jamestkirk
thefreed wrote:Anther reply from Johnny:


No Stephen stills and l never really hung out, he did however trip with Bryan___Hendrix and I would see each other from time to time mostly at Arthur's instigation and would jam together at the house on wonderland circle. Jimi was totally involved with his axe and would "jam" continually with any one who could play, he was like a sponge picking upidea's from every one!
No, the "super group" never got past the talking stage, though David Crosby and I would often play together, trading ideas etc.
Michael Stuart emailed me one of his favorite bands was the Buffalo Springfield during their stand at the Whiskey. His favorite song was "Hot Dusty Roads" and he said Dewey Martin was a stand out drummer and quite hot on the skins. What a day...Buff, Love, Doors, the Seeds, Sons of Adam...on and on...all on the Strip together on any given day!

Would we love to have been there. Ed?!!

Posted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 4:41 pm
by The Freedom Man
You Betcha!

Posted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 11:14 pm
by StrangeNightOfStone

Posted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 12:19 am
by The Freedom Man
Here's another piece of email I got from Johnny, makes sense to me a lot why Arthur hated Jim after reading this.

Johnny is very happy to reply to questions.So don't hesitate to ask and I'll be happy to forward them to Johnny.I asked if he would join here and is said he will think about it.He's in LA now and in a few weeks he's returning home to Arizona and we will discuss it further then.

On the question of Arthur and Morrison, Jim would copy Arthur's moves and manerisms and yes there was that thing about Pam but the real problem was Jim's drinking, he would get wasted and cause Elektra greif which would get back to us, we all thought that it was a bit disrespectful to Love, after all had we (and it was we) went out of our way to help them get signed!

Posted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 1:01 am
by StrangeNightOfStone
thefreed wrote:Here's another piece of email I got from Johnny, makes sense to me a lot why Arthur hated Jim after reading this.

Johnny is very happy to reply to questions.So don't hesitate to ask and I'll be happy to forward them to Johnny.I asked if he would join here and is said he will think about it.He's in LA now and in a few weeks he's returning home to Arizona and we will discuss it further then.

On the question of Arthur and Morrison, Jim would copy Arthur's moves and manerisms and yes there was that thing about Pam but the real problem was Jim's drinking, he would get wasted and cause Elektra greif which would get back to us, we all thought that it was a bit disrespectful to Love, after all had we (and it was we) went out of our way to help them get signed!

One thing did strike me as odd..once the Doors made it big, why didn't they return the favor to Love try & and help Love get more exposure? Imagine if the Doors had been co-billed with Love instead of Jefferson Airplane for the '68 European tour...

Well, Jack did once say Arthur refused to play outside of LA, and Robby claimed Arthur spent most of his time at the castle getting high so who knows if the Doors could have helped..

I wonder if Arthur and Jim ever had words, and an all out fight? Jim seemed in awe of Arthur, and Arthur saw Jim as a pest....

What did Arthur think of Ray, Robby and John?

My impression at the Ray/Arthur gig I attended in the early '90s was that Ray didn't want to deal with Arthur...