Colgems artists

Discussions of other bands, including D21C/ROTS should go here.

Moderators: The Freedom Man, TheDoorsMusic

Post Reply
User avatar
silentseason
Senior Member
Posts: 468
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:23 pm

Colgems artists

Post by silentseason »

The Monkees were the main artists but not the only ones on their record label, Colgems. The Lewis and Clark Expedition was a very good group that only put out one album (I stupidly didn't buy it back in the mid 80's at a used record store; very hard to get now). I remember looking at the dust jacket from 'Head' and it listed the Flying Nun soundtrack and the 'In Cold Blood' soundtrack from Quincy Jones as some of their offerings. Anyone else have any Colgems favorites/memories?
You set the scene
User avatar
jamestkirk
Senior Member
Posts: 5816
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2007 9:11 pm
Location: The Music Of My Mind

Re: Colgems artists

Post by jamestkirk »

silentseason wrote:The Monkees were the main artists but not the only ones on their record label, Colgems. The Lewis and Clark Expedition was a very good group that only put out one album (I stupidly didn't buy it back in the mid 80's at a used record store; very hard to get now). I remember looking at the dust jacket from 'Head' and it listed the Flying Nun soundtrack and the 'In Cold Blood' soundtrack from Quincy Jones as some of their offerings. Anyone else have any Colgems favorites/memories?
A really hard album to find...with Michael Murphy.

Of course the Monkees were the reason COLGEMS existed at all until 1971....with the demise of the Monkees...came the downfall of Colgems. Many were film soundtracks and TV ventures..Colgems was a side business for RCA/Columbia/Screengems...a television production company...so THE MONKESS were a production of that arm.

The Monkees were the bread & butter ...well, their everything, pretty much.

I always wondered if the Monkees had been placed on the more respected RCA label, if they in turn would have been more respected...which is where Nesmith went for a few albums after the Monkees--before starting Pacific Arts.

Pacific Arts was Michaels multi-media company...he won the first Grammy for a music video-"Elephant Parts" and sold his music video network brainchild after it was too much for Pacific Arts... to MTV.

Papa Nez has always been a mover and shaker in the music biz, not to mention a tremendous talent...a genius in my book.



Some Colgems classics....


Don't Call On Me...classic Nez
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7rPCspV ... re=related


Pleasant Valley Sunday
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUzs5dlLrm0


SHE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HoRjKHdK ... re=related

WORDS
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzYeB0Zu ... re=related
Last edited by jamestkirk on Fri May 06, 2011 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music".

-Aldous Huxley
BallroomDays67
Senior Member
Posts: 1976
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2007 12:06 am

Post by BallroomDays67 »

I'm not too familiar with any other Colgems releases besides the Monkees albums. Back when I was collecting LPs, I recall hearing comments about the stereo "Casino Royale" soundtrack, and how good it sounds. It seemed to be pretty rare, and the few copies I saw were fairly expensive.
User avatar
silentseason
Senior Member
Posts: 468
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:23 pm

Post by silentseason »

Were Boyce and Hart on Colgems? Always get a kick when I see the reruns of 'Bewitched' or 'I Dream of Jeannie' when they are featured.
You set the scene
User avatar
jamestkirk
Senior Member
Posts: 5816
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2007 9:11 pm
Location: The Music Of My Mind

Post by jamestkirk »

BallroomDays67 wrote:I'm not too familiar with any other Colgems releases besides the Monkees albums. Back when I was collecting LPs, I recall hearing comments about the stereo "Casino Royale" soundtrack, and how good it sounds. It seemed to be pretty rare, and the few copies I saw were fairly expensive.
THere just weren't very many COLGEMS albums of note besides The Monkees albums...even then they released only THIRTY ONE albums all told!! Seriously -- 31. After the early 70's they released albums for radio play only...nothing for the public! They were absorbed by BELL after 1971-- except for the afore mentioned COLGEMS Promotional Albums arm of Various Artists vinyl distributed to DJs....to promote artists that were in their RCA etc stable.
"After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music".

-Aldous Huxley
User avatar
silentseason
Senior Member
Posts: 468
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:23 pm

Post by silentseason »

jamestkirk wrote:
BallroomDays67 wrote:I'm not too familiar with any other Colgems releases besides the Monkees albums. Back when I was collecting LPs, I recall hearing comments about the stereo "Casino Royale" soundtrack, and how good it sounds. It seemed to be pretty rare, and the few copies I saw were fairly expensive.
THere just weren't very many COLGEMS albums of note besides The Monkees albums...even then they released only THIRTY ONE albums all told!! Seriously -- 31. After the early 70's they released albums for radio play only...nothing for the public! They were absorbed by BELL after 1971-- except for the afore mentioned COLGEMS Promotional Albums arm of Various Artists vinyl distributed to DJs....to promote artists that were in their RCA etc stable.
Only 31??? Wow, no wonder their non Monkees issues are so rare. A thread about short lived record labels and their histories would be interesting.
You set the scene
User avatar
jamestkirk
Senior Member
Posts: 5816
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2007 9:11 pm
Location: The Music Of My Mind

Post by jamestkirk »

silentseason wrote:
jamestkirk wrote:
BallroomDays67 wrote:I'm not too familiar with any other Colgems releases besides the Monkees albums. Back when I was collecting LPs, I recall hearing comments about the stereo "Casino Royale" soundtrack, and how good it sounds. It seemed to be pretty rare, and the few copies I saw were fairly expensive.
THere just weren't very many COLGEMS albums of note besides The Monkees albums...even then they released only THIRTY ONE albums all told!! Seriously -- 31. After the early 70's they released albums for radio play only...nothing for the public! They were absorbed by BELL after 1971-- except for the afore mentioned COLGEMS Promotional Albums arm of Various Artists vinyl distributed to DJs....to promote artists that were in their RCA etc stable.
Only 31??? Wow, no wonder their non Monkees issues are so rare. A thread about short lived record labels and their histories would be interesting.
No Boyce & Hart
"After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music".

-Aldous Huxley
Post Reply